Tuesday 26 June 2012

Day 52 - Elizabeth Barrett Browing, Einaudi and Eileen

Today really and truly marks the return of regular blogging - because I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I've finished uni for the year, as I handed in my last essay today, and all those extra letters at the end of 'free' serve two purposes. Firstly, I hope they convey my excitement, and, secondly, there are three aspects to this post - all of which begin with 'e'.

The first is Elizabeth Barrett Browning, whose poetry was the subject of the essay I submitted today. I wrote on the narrative of disability implicit in her 1856 epic Aurora Leigh because, whilst most people think of her condition/illness only in relation to her elopement with Robert Browning, I discovered so many allusions to physical difference and disability (especially blindness - Romney's - and difficulty walking) that it had to have had more of an impact on her than is usually supposed. Also, it has been suggested by medical advances that she had a spinal curvature, so I feel a little as if she's lived my life...alas, Browning is yet to appear.

The second is Einaudi. Lizzie and I hammered out 2400 words on Sunday, so we had Ludovico Einaudi's pieces as background music to keep us going. I've always had a soft spot for his work, but there's another connection to my mission, too, because his Le Ondes is the music on the Starlight advert:



Thirdly, Eileen is home from Norway! Let the best summer ever begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment